Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution includes depositing and/or sharing certain content on a web server handled by a website hosting company. There are various types of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's have a look at them. Doing so, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you desire to have a site, email address accounts, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some companies, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting packages frequently involve adverts by the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular amount of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inapt interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would apportion the load between separate stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (email, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is just a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given providers offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting kind is suitable if you would like to share a great quantity of pictures with pals or acquaintances since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to handling your mail accounts. Some distributors offer site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you would like to open an email address with your domain name but do not wish to have a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video file creates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video clips and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to manage as many video clips as you would like without worrying about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to own a web site. To a certain degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At DCG Studio - Domains and Hosting, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in a single place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared to the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are intended for specific web content solely.